January 7, 2009

Do you believe in gosh?

I'm certainly not saying the message is wrong, but I think the folks behind the Athiest Bus Campaign in London might need some help with their marketing strategy.

Because if there's one thing that blows about organized religion, it's that part where adherents try to convince everyone else that they're right and you're wrong.

And putting that message on a big bus ad? Yeah, I don't think that's going to help. Although people are usually so rational about their religious beliefs - I'm sure they'll want to take time to reconsider when they see "There's probably no god" whizzing by them in traffic.

Now, a quick word about the title of today's post: I thought the god-gosh thing made it appropriate to the theme of this entry. But it's a dual-purpose title. Because it's also the name of a very funny Mitch Hedberg CD that was released posthumously (first use of that word on SFTC, I'm pretty sure) a few months ago.

As astute SFTC readers know, the very name of this blog is a rip-off of a Mitch joke. I like to think of him as the patron saint of my site, although I'm not really sure if there is such a thing.

One funny clip from Do You Believe in Gosh (the CD, not the post you're reading) has Hedberg, during a live performance, observing that there's an "Improv" sign somewhere on the stage, before adding, "I had a bad set here last night and they added an E to the end of the sign." Later, he asks: "Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus... or a really cool opotamus?"

More Mitch-isms here. Long live Mitch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

freedom of speech, brother, freedom of speech. if people want to pay to have SNARKY (for example) posted on a bus, then more power to them.

Your escalator operator said...

I'm all for freedom of speech. I just think it's a colossal waste of money. And that they've apparently missed one of the obvious lessons from thousands of years of people beating each other over the head about their religions.

GlutenGirl said...

These ads are all over the buses in DC in preparation for the masses that will soon be descending for the inauguration. See godonthebus.com for the counter-ads.