December 17, 2008

In which 70% < 60%

I'm not great at math, so maybe I'm missing something here. But I was looking at Restaurant.com, about to buy myself some discount gift certificates for two local eateries, when I came to this screen:





See that blue box at the bottom right corner? That's where they break down your gift certificate options. Well, here, take a closer look:



The $10 gift certificate costs only $3. The way I run the numbers, that's 70% off. Not bad. But Restaurant.com says the "best value" is the $100 gift certificate, which costs $40. I think that comes out to right around 60% off, which... isn't that less than 70% off?

Maybe they just mean it's the best value for the people who run the web site.

While we're on the topic, if the site lists restaurants near you - the selection is OK but not great for establishments in our area - it can be kind of a handy way to save a few bucks. And they're doing some kind of holiday promotion now, so if you enter the code FROSTY at checkout, the gift certificates are even cheaper. Happy shopping.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you shouldn't give a shout-out to stupid people.
but, i'd just get a few of the $10 ones - rock on.

Your escalator operator said...

1) Normally I agree with that, but "math errors" equals "stuff I can blog about," so there's that...
2) I didn't want to go to that restaurant anyway. Ha.

"Highland Park" Attorney said...

At the request of my dear friend Bugs, I am back!!!! I have been adjusting to my new employment and have been negligent in my posting duties.....my deeepest apologies....thanks for noticing my absence :-)

Now to the post for today.......As a new employee of the State of New York, I have the "best value", its called submitting my dinner bill to the State, its a 100 percent savings!!! Ssssssswwwweeeeettttt!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK! work?! blah. EO is MUCH more interesting than work!
aren't you becoming a bad example of how our economy is going down the toilet if you are having our already debt-ridden states foot your bill for food?!

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of this site. We use it all the time for some of our regular restaurants. They're practically giving food away anyway, so I don't know if their math can be trusted. Seriously.