July 27, 2008

Just the fats, ma'am

At first, I was super-excited to read this article because the first two words in the headline are "California Bars," and y'all know how much I like hanging out in watering holes.

But, no, it was about my trendsetting state banning (wonder why they didn't say "California bans" - would have eliminated my confusion for sure) the use of trans fats in all restaurants and retail baked goods over the next couple of years. I'll see ya' later - before this thing goes into effect, I'm going to eat all the trans fats I can, and I'm starting right... now.

Time for a non sequitur: Are you wondering what song-that-was-released-more-than-30-years-ago I've had in heavy rotation on my iPod for the last week? I didn't think so. But now that I've brought it up, I'll tell you anyway: Vienna, by Billy Joel. This was pre-smashing-cars-into-trees Billy, and, for that matter, pre-not-starting-the-fire Billy, so I'm OK mentioning it to you.

8 comments:

"Highland Park" Attorney said...

First round of twinkies, with a side of Fries is on me!!!!

Anonymous said...

I like how MONTGOMERY COUNTY, MD did this in 2006 - that affected like 100 people or something?
Also, your thought process is nothing but scattered today.
Do your $7 fruit shakes have trans fat in them? Or your vegan (ucky) dinners? You have nothing to worry about, bro!

Your escalator operator said...

Make that a deep-fried Twinkie, and you're on! (Recipe here: http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/deepfriedtwinkies.shtml.) After all, we want to maximize use of trans fats.

Your escalator operator said...

Bugs - Montgomery County is pretty populous, about a million people, but who's counting. Otherwise, you're right - scattered thought process for sure. And, no I think my kale shakes are TF-free. As are the spinach cakes I had for a snack yesterday. (Wonder if my six bowls of Cap'n Crunch were safe.)

"Highland Park" Attorney said...

YEO....a very important link....
http://www.kettlefoods.com/files/3970spicyThai.pdf

Your escalator operator said...

If I weren't on an all-transfat diet, I'd say: Oh nooooooooooooo!!! But since I am, this seems like excellent news. (Ergh.)

Anonymous said...

I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO TELL ME THE POPULATION OF MONTGOMERY COUNTY! i knew it. i knew it. that's so freakin' hysterical.
spinach cakes? oh goodness...you're taking a turn for the worse.
and, with all the fires so close to your digs, you should REALLY move home now where you can eat as much TF as you want!

"Highland Park" Attorney said...

Bugs.....we need to get this boy back east as soon as possible or he might start eating the California sand and claim it is high in protein!!!!!!