August 6, 2009

A decade away

For no apparent reason, I read this article in today's Times that includes the prediction that the job of statistician will be H-O-T, hot, hot, hot in 2020.

I've always thought that if you're going to publicize some crazy-ass predicition* that you've made, you might as well (1) publicize it in the New York Times; and (2) make your prediction about something 10 years in the future.

Why, you ask?

Because on the off chance you're right, whoever is filling the role of CNN reporter-moron in 2020 will find the New York Times article and interview you about it repeatedly throughout the year, so your consulting firm will get lots of great exposure.

And if you're wrong, who the hell is going to go back through 10-year-old New York Times articles looking for idiots who made wildly off-base predictions about the employability of stasticians in 2020? (Hint: The answer is "almost nobody.")

Which is why I can tell you that I feel very close to certain that a decade hence, SFTC will be the crown jewel of a $10 billion-a-year media empire and I will be the NBA's first-ever 47-year-old all-star shooting guard.

* Yes, I do realize that it's incredibly stupid of me to make fun of this idea because there's a good chance that Google's chief economist, who made this particular prediction, knows much, much, much more about the subject than I do, even though I read almost all of the New York Times article in which he was quoted.**

** I still would argue that this post is a good guide to use if you do in fact want to make wildly off-base predictions while speaking to news reporters.

8 comments:

bugs said...

where is the ** in the article?

and, i predict that in 10 years, my 7 year old will be 17 and my almost-2-year-old will have stopped screaming NO NO NO to almost anything. oh, and i'll be able to sleep through the night & past the 6 o'clock hour in the morning.

DGB said...

I predict that a lot of people will be fat. While others will be thin.

Your escalator operator said...

B - The ** is at the end of the * explanation. Also, I think your forecast is very likely to be accurate.

DGB - A strikingly bold prediction.

OneZenMom said...

Based on these predictions, I think I need to go back to statistician school ... also, will you marry me? ;)

Your escalator operator said...

ZM - I predicted you were going to write that. But are you asking because of my extraordinary future athletic skills or tremendous future wealth?

OneZenMom said...

Do I have to pick one? Ok, I'll go with money. ;)

Mom said...

Yeah, I'd heard about the statistician gigs. I hope someone tracks the stats on that over the next 10 years and lets us know how it goes.

Life...EXAGGERATED

JBhumitra said...

good thing i took 6 stats classes in undergrad and 2 in grad!