November 11, 2009

Stay with someone you hate

I just got a promotional email from a hotel in Santa Barbara where the world's most beautiful wife and I have stayed a few times. Nice place and a great location, just across the street from the beach in one of the most picturesque towns in the land.

I guess the hotel is under new management or something because I noticed a new corporate logo at the bottom left of the message:


You could click on the image to blow it up, but I'll save you the trouble. The logo in question is for a firm called JRK Hotel Group.

I'm not one to make fun of names of people - although I still don't get why Mr. and Mrs. Gaga couldn't come up with anything better than "Lady" for their ubertalented daughter. But unlike most men and women, companies usually have a chance to pick names that don't suck. So I have less compunction about occasionally mocking a corporate moniker.

Maybe JRK is the monogram of the company founder. Or maybe the firm was started by three dudes named ... oh, I don't know, Jeremy, Rossifer and Keyshawn. And maybe Keyshawn lost a bet and his initial had to go last, which is why they couldn't name it KJR Hotel Group.

Point is: I look at the email, at the logo, at the website, and I can't get "Jerk Hotels" out of my mind. Why would I want to stay at a Jerk Hotel? Would you?

It's possible I'm overthinking this.

6 comments:

OneZenMom said...

Okay, first: LOVE Santa Barbara area. ;)

Second: I always wonder about people who do things like that. Because I usually notice those funny double entendres right away ... and yet, the people who make them seem completely blown away by the fact that there could be another connotation or meaning besides their intended one. Have they no imagination at all?

bugs said...

You had an issue with us naming our 2nd child the way we did, as it gave him the initials MAR...

1. to damage or spoil to a certain extent; render less perfect, attractive, useful, etc.; impair or spoil: That billboard mars the view. The holiday was marred by bad weather.
2. to disfigure, deface, or scar: The scratch marred the table.

so, my point is...what's with you & initials?! get over it.

Your escalator operator said...

ZM - Right! I'm glad I have company.

B - Luckily, monogrammed shirts aren't as big as they used to be. Regardless, the lesson here is that he had no choice in his initials. But if he starts his own business he would have a chice, and he'd do well to avoid using his initials as the name. MAR Construction? MAR Insurance? I wouldn't trust them.

DGB said...

Come on YEO, don't be such a jrk.

Your escalator operator said...

DGB - I'll have to assume you mean that I should stop acting like a hotel management company. Which, yeah, you're right.

bugs said...

no, i think DGB was saying you're acting like a JERK.
(i know he's not, but i'm just putting my 2 cents in)
and, you have a typo, EO!!!! CHICE?!! you mean CHOICE?