January 16, 2008

Truth in advertising

Dress Barn is one of the worst names for a business ever. I make no judgment about the quality or stylishness of the clothing the company sells. I just don't get who would actually want to get their clothes from a barn. During the meeting to select the name of the store, what were the nominations that were deemed not as good as that one?

Which brings me to a company I read about in today's issue of the paper with all the news fit to print. On the one hand, I admire the firm's approach of letting the name speak for itself. On that count alone, it's a much better name than, say, Amazon or Zazzle, to give you the full alphabetic spectrum. On the other hand, if I worked there, I think I'd insist on not having business cards, a corporate email address or company-logo T-shirts.

See for yourself:

"When you buy a box of Cheerios in New York and one in Champaign, Illinois, you know they are going to be the same. By shortening the genetic pool using clones, you can do a similar thing," said Jon Fisher, president and owner of Prairie State Semen in Illinois.

Can't say I'd want to swim in any genetic pool that dude is talking about.

2 comments:

Loree said...

Wow... that's unfortunate. Although, I suppose it gets right to the point.

Anonymous said...

I want the t-shirt, especially if it has a cartoon sperm as the mascot! He can be named Willard and wear a red baseball cap that says "get moooovin'".