January 23, 2008

Stuffed

I set two rules for myself when I started this blog. Wow, it seems like just a few weeks ago.

Rule One: I won't write about my job. There have been a few instances already where that decision has cost me some blog-worthy material. But it'd probably just be a bad idea.

Rule Two: I won't just post random unconnected thoughts; that if I were going to waste my time and yours, I'd have something that was moderately interesting, something that might make you laugh or (and this is a much lower hurdle) something that would make me laugh.

But now, seven posts later, I've run out of things to write about. This is why I'm breaking Rule Two.

I've decided to introduce a new recurring feature -- although we'll have to see if it actually recurs; it's like when people hold an event and refer to it as the "First Annual Downtown Detroit Topiary Design Contest" knowing full well there's a slim chance they'll make it to the second annual DDTDC. I'm going to call it: Stuff I'm Starting to Like / Stuff I Still Don't Get.

The name might need some work. I'd explain the concept, but as self-explanatory concepts go, this should rank up there pretty high. Suffice it to say that pretty much any "stuff" is fair game, but I'm guessing I'll pull examples mostly from pop culture, food and beverages, and ... what else is there? Ah, I'm sure I'll think of something.

But I hope you'll share your related likes/don't gets, and maybe -- just maybe -- we'll promote peace and understanding and solve a few of the world's problems along the way. Overly ambitious? Maybe. But was it overly ambitious for Dean Kamen to say he'd sell millions of Segways and that urban American life would be utterly transformed by his invention? OK, bad example.

With that, I give you the first edition of Stuff I'm Starting to Like / Stuff I Still Don't Get.

  • Stuff I'm Starting to Like: Music by The National. Thanks mostly to living in L.A., I'm not hearing about good new bands on the radio anymore. I realize this is incredibly unhip, but I first heard about The National when their album, Boxer, was mentioned on just about every "Best of 2007" list. I downloaded Boxer from iTunes, and dug almost every song. Just added their previous album, Alligator, to my collection. Also great. (I even like that their web site is at americanmary.com.) If you haven't done so already, do your ears a favor.
  • Stuff I Still Don't Get: British sketch comedies. Aiming to fill the Hugh Laurie void during the WGA strike (at long last, a new episode of House airs next week!), Jenny and I netflixed a DVD set of "A Bit of Fry and Laurie." Maybe later when I have more time I'll expound upon all the reasons I don't think it's funny, but now, just trust me. Not funny. Wouldn't think it was funny if I spoke with a British accent and ate scones. It's just not. And while I haven't seen tons of other British comedies, I have seen enough to know that none of them are. British actors: Stick to Shakespeare and Hugh Grant movies. Leave the comedy to us.

OK, world peace can begin now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love House. I'm quite excited about the new episodes. Besides 24 (damn you tv studios oppressing your writers), it's the only show I actually watch regularly.

Loree said...

I'll have to check out this band, and continue my longstanding tradition of letting people with better musical taste than I have form my musical taste for me.

Re: British humor. I find some British comedy funny, but I'm not into a lot of it. I love, love, love Eddie Izzard, for example, but I think he's just funny, and he doesn't strike me as performing particularly British humor.

I do enjoy the British version of The Office, although it's certainly more than cringeworthy at times. Another show that I've only seen a few times but have really enjoyed is the show Coupling. It's pretty excellent. They tried to do an American version a few years ago, but it was crazy terrible.

My husband loves some Hugh Laurie, and I know he'd recommend the Jeeves and Wooster series to you. Not sure if it's up your alley, but he loves it.

Your escalator operator said...

I don't know. Jeeves and Wooster sounds an awful lot like Queen's English code for "Fry and Laurie."