May 15, 2008

I swear, to tell the truth

Maybe it's just me. But if the two most important parts of my job were (1) sitting in a chair without falling over and (2) reading words off of a prompter, I'd make sure I executed both flawlessly on a regular basis.

Sue Simmons, the longtime anchor on WNBC-TV in New York, seems to have part 1 down OK, but apparently she figured she could phone it in on part 2. From the sound of it, reading 30-second teasers for the 11 o'clock show must be superfreakin' stressful.

(Not sure how long this link will work -- I'm guessing NBC is making people remove the clips -- so click through early and often.)

Personally, I don't think this is a very big deal, but it is kinda funny. Actually, it'd be cool if local stations got their on-air talent to do this more often, but at random times. It'd be like watching auto racing for the wrecks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i listened to it like 10 times, as i kept cracking up...and i had nothing better to do (altho' napping would be wise)

JBhumitra said...

OMG who is she talking to?! This is hilarious!

Your escalator operator said...

Yeah, I've watched it about 10 times also. I don't know why it's so funny, but it is. I like the awkward silence -- also apparently part of the actualy broadcast.

JB -- I read that she was talking to her coanchor, who's also been at the station for years and years.

She apologized on air during the 11 p.m. newscast that night.

Anonymous said...

she apologized? like "sorry for swearing on t.v. i should know better, as i've been on the air for x amount of years and it's really crass to do that?!" stupid people.

Your escalator operator said...

She said during her apology that she realized "some people" would find that offensive. Clearly, she wasn't talking about anybody I know!