January 4, 2010

The price of ice

Whenever my mom is considering a new car, she couldn't care less about whether it has four-wheel drive or traction control or ABS brakes - or, I'd guess, whether it has brakes of any kind. She doesn't care if the engine has four cylinders or six; or whether it comes with dual temperature zones or keyless remote entry.

Pretty much all she wants to know is that whatever car she drives is going to have a button on the air-conditioning panel that lets her see what the outside temperature is.

Which seemed pretty strange to me until last week.

Last week, the world's most fantastic wife and I became homeowners, and aside from the packing*, moving** and unpacking***, we couldn't be more thrilled. It's a great place - an upgrade in almost every way from the apartment we had rented for the past 18 months.

But what I had forgotten about our new apartment until we started unpacking our 694 boxes of kitchen stuff was that the previous owners left behind - for free**** - a refrigerator/freezer with one of those automatic water-and-ice dispensers. And not only that, but you can select ice cubes (more like crescents, actually) or crushed ice! Oh, and if you're getting water - or ice! - at night, the thing lights up, so you can be confident that the water you're dispensing goes right where it's intended. Amazing!

I've never had one of those things before - not growing up and not in any of the other apartments where I've lived. So when we walked in last week and I saw that snazzy thing on the front of our new freezer door? Well, that was the moment I knew: Despite the L.A. price we just paid for the place, it was totally worth it.

Now, if I can just find a contraption to tell me what the temperature outside the apartment is....

* Hated it.
** Really hated it.
*** Impossible to describe how much I hate it.
**** Yes, I'm kidding about the "free" thing.

8 comments:

OneZenMom said...

I think my favorite "little" thing about home ownership is that I can paint the walls any color I want. Or put as many holes in them as I please. Or even tear them down, if I want to. Which I have. There's something so comforting about that. ;)

DGB said...

Growing up we had the crescent cubes and the crushed ice (though the crushed ice would always miss the glass, no matter how big it was), what we didn't have was the auto water dispenser. Man, I love that my fridge has one.

Congrats on your ice. Now go make some cocktails.

Unknown said...

oh I love that automatic water dispenser... I find though that the ledge you put the glass on is not big enough to leave the glass on it... hmmm...

Also, I totally have to have the bells and whistles in a car!

Your escalator operator said...

ZM - I have to admit, in the last home I owned, I often thought about going all Jackson Pollack on one of the walls.

DGB - Mmm. Cocktails.

WVW - Welcome to SFTC! You're right about the ledges - we'll have to get to the bottom of that.

Loree said...

I love this post...I totally agree that having one of those fancy icemakers is totally a sign that you've "made it." I still covet one. Especially with the crescent-shaped cubes.

You Are My Fave said...

I was always fascinated by water coming from the fridge because I never had one growing up. I still don't have one but maybe I'll add it to my wishlist.

bugs said...

thermometer?!

still don't know what's wrong with a pitcher of water in the brita in a frig. does your new ice/water dispenser filter the water?! you're going to have to change it periodically if it does.

but, congrats on the new place.

and, happy birthday to your wife!!! :) we'll call later.

Your escalator operator said...

L - Welcome back! Yeah, the crescent cubes (that's an oxymoron, I guess) are so ... choice.

YAMF - Thanks for commenting! Among my very few regular readers, you have several fans.

B - I was hoping *someone* would suggest a thermometer!! Ha ha ha.