April 25, 2010

Missed metaphors, part 2

(If you missed SFTC's groundbreaking Missed Metaphors, part 1, feel free to either scroll down a bit or click here.)

I realize that because of the iPad and Kindle - and, frankly, because we as a society just keep getting stupider - the good old hardback book is quickly becoming obsolete. Which probably means that book-inspired metaphors are also becoming more and more archaic. Soon, I would venture to guess, the very concepts of "judging a book by its cover" or "throwing the book at someone" will be nearly meaningless.

I think that explains why the good folks who edit Associated Press sports articles failed to catch a botched attempt at turning such a phrase. Trying to explain that the UCLA gymnastics team's two most recent championships occurred immediately before and after a string of five straight championships by the University of Georgia, an AP writer offered:
The Bruins won the title for the first time since 2004, bookmarking the Gym Dogs' five-year run.

I don't read a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure a bookmark is something you stick in the middle of a book, not on either side of one. It would have been nice for the editor to realize that UCLA's 2004 and '10 victories bookended the Georgia wins.

This sentence also reminds me of one of the main reasons I never tried out for Georgia gymnastics: the name Gym Dogs.

5 comments:

bugs said...

yea - the name gym dogs was the reason you didn't try out for gymnastics. nothing to do with your amazingly athletic abilities?!
nice catch, editor. man, you're good. and super super critical.

FilmFather said...

Hey there...found your blog link on Daddy Geek Boy...great stuff you've got here. Anybody who's a fan of Mitch AND takes time to slam people abusing/misusing the English language is A-OK in my book.

Your escalator operator said...

B - I realize this is also super-critical, but I think you meant "amazing" athletic abilities. Ha.

FF - Those are two of my very favorite things, so welcome aboard! Thanks very much for the compliment.

bugs said...

nope - actually i meant amazingly.
but, given your comment, i'm thinking it's not a word?!
xo

Your escalator operator said...

It's a word. I just would have written it the other way, but I get what you mean, I think.